I took a respite from life to the public library today. I’m lucky enough to live a few blocks away
from what I consider to be my brick sanctuary.
When I need to clear my head or find inner peace, I go to the
library.
I suppose I love the library so much because as long as
authors are writing and publishing books, humanity is thriving. I am assured,
peering at the shelves of published material, that democracy is alive and
well. Of course our society has its problems—social
inequality, disease, war, poverty, and the failing alternator in my husband’s
2007 Ford Focus; however, as long as text exists, is created, and is
accessible, life is good! Freedom is
alive and well!
Today when I walked through the automatic doors and security
monitors at the entrance of the library (evidently, people steal material that you can
check out for free), I noticed two pre-teenaged boys parking their BMX bikes
and entering the library.
I thought, “Wow. Those are impressive young boys. They are on summer break and are going to expand
their learning by reading.” I felt like
all was right with the youth of America.
I slipped the lame fantasy novel that I attempted and failed to read into the return slot and then picked up my book
I had placed on hold, Twenty Five Books that Shaped America by Thomas C. Foster(I am considering this book
my summer professional development because I did not sign up for any classes).
Then, I followed my regular route through the library: a
quick stop at the “Readers’ Choice” display to see if anything looked
interesting. No luck--only some trashy romance novels. Then, a careful glance at the young adult section. I was searching for a copy of Ally Condie’s novel Matched.
There were plenty of
copies of the sequel titled Crossed,
but no Matched. So, I moved to the adult fiction section. I didn’t have a specific book I was looking
for, but I always seem to find a book to read when I wander up and down the
aisles. My strategy is to look for books
with multiple copies lying on the shelves.
When the library has multiple copies of a book, I assume it must be a
good read (I have found this is not always true, especially when the novel is a
cheesy romance with a religious theme. I
won’t name any authors, but you know who they are).
This time the novel How Green Was My Valley caught my
eye. Not only were there multiple
copies, but I’ve heard of this novel. I
thought I would give it a try.
I moved towards the self-check-out and noticed that the two
boys I had been impressed with were also checking out their selections. As I strolled past them to the exit, I
glanced to see what books they had chosen to read. They both had a stack, at least 7 or 8
copies, of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Graphic Novel.” I guess if a drawing or two of Sarah Michelle
Gellar can get kids reading, who am I to judge?
Oh man, I love libraries! I had a really stupid library experience the other day I'll have to tell you about. It involved a library lady that took her job too seriously.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, we're reading Matched for my book club next month! I hope I like it!
And did the BMX boys REALLY go to the library??