Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Longing for Book Time




I began reading The House of the Scorpion a week before school began. So far, it's been a intriguing read. I thought I could polish off this novel in a week; however, school began and I had to return to work (sob sob). It's not that I hate teaching school, but it subtracts time to tend to a basic human need--reading.

I suppose I could read before I go to sleep every evening. The problem is, I know myself too well. If I begin reading before bedtime, I'll keep reading compulsively and wake up sleep-deprived. Then, I'll turn into a dysfunctional mean person and everyone around me will suffer. On top of everything else, I'll be too exhausted to pick up my book when I get home from work so I won't get any reading done.

I long for those lingering summer days of lying in the hammock with hours of reading ahead.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for considering others when considering sleep deprivation. Although I doubt you could actually be all that mean... I'd like to see you try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. Is there a solution to this problem? Because it really bugs me . . . ! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to ask you for a recommendation for books to read...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't picture you as a dysfunctional mean person! If I had to be around any of those, I'd pick you. Miss you and CUWP! I liked House of the Scorpion too. It's strangely compelling.

    ReplyDelete