Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I just finished this novel and wanted to reflect upon it. I have wanted to read this book for a while, as I have heard nothing but good spoken of it. To be honest, I expected a Southern (United States) period piece. I thought that maybe this was a Civil War era novel. I got the war part correct; however this story is set in post-WWII. And it's not set in the United States, but rather Great Britain. The entire story is told through letters composed by a variety of characters to each other. The plot centers around a group of people living on a channel island (Guernsey) during and after the German occupation.

I found this book cleverly-crafted with likable characters. I would not call this book the best book I've ever read, but it was decent. I enjoyed how passionate the characters became over books they were reading and discussing in their literary society. I can easily relate to that. There's nothing like a deep conversation with fellow readers about books.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a review of this book too! Here's the link: http://prose-spective.blogspot.com/2009/09/riveting-reads-guernsey-literary-and.html

    ReplyDelete